The Drive Toward the Use of Solar Power
The idea of having clean, renewable energy like solar power, has been a topic of contentious debate among politicians. Those who support the idea argue that the environment is getting polluted. They believe that it is necessary to eliminate pollution for the benefit of future generations. Those who oppose the idea want to continue using fossil fuels, coal and nuclear energy. They consider these energy sources to be more cost effective.
Rather than engage in political debates, it may be more fruitful to look at published data, and to leave judgments to the reader.
Is global warming real or imagined?
Renewable energy systems produce energy without releasing greenhouse effect gases (GHG) such as carbon dioxide, methane, nitrous oxide, and ozone. Combustion of fossil fuels provides GHGs, which have increased by 40% over the last 260 years. Moreover, the rate of increase is accelerating. If GHGs continue at the present rate, the earth is expected to experience a global warming crisis. This will adversely affect ecosystems and human life in the very near future.
Many publications in scientific journals provide conclusions about global warming. Although it is not within the scope of this article to mention all of them, here are a few conclusions:
- An article in American Association for the Advancement of Science (2006) concludes that global climate change is occurring. The result could be a threat to society and the destruction of well-known shore lines.
- An article in the American Chemical Society (2004) concludes that climate changes are real. In addition, they are caused by emissions produced by human activities.
- An article in the American Physical Society (2007) concludes that mitigating steps must be taken to stop global warming (reduction of GHGs). Significant disruptions will occur in the earth’s physical and ecological systems. Consequently, human health and well-being will be adversely affected.
Arguments for using Solar Power
One way to reduce GHGs is to use Solar Power, for these reasons:
- Solar power is a renewable energy source that converts energy from the sun into usable electricity. This is accomplished by using photo-voltaic cells. The use of solar power does not provide GHGs. Therefore it is not a useful energy source for stopping global warming.
- The costs of solar panels continue to decline steadily due to competition among vendors. Due to advancements in implementing solar technology, prices have decreased. Governments that take global warming as a serious problem provide tax benefits to citizens who use it. The average 20-year savings of citizens who use solar power is about $20,000 to $30,000.
- Apart from providing energy independence for oil consuming countries, the use of solar power creates jobs.
The specialists at US Electrical Services can help you learn more about using solar energy. It’s affordable and better for the environment. Please visit the website at https://usesi.com/.